Myofunctional Therapy works to retrain and restore the muscles of the face, lips, tongue, and shoulders and neck to restore optimal tone and function. The goals are to establish quiet and continuous nasal breathing, and strengthen and tone the lips and tongue for proper position at rest and functionally. We focus on breathing, chewing, and swallowing as well as posture and movement. The individualized exercises performed carefully, without compensations, train the tongue, lips, and related facial muscles for better breathing both day and night. These muscles are designed to work together and release any restriction or inefficient patterns.
Typically this therapy requires about 10-12 sessions with me every other week, and daily at home practice. Sessions are usually 30 min and offered via tele-therapy or in-person or a hybrid. I work collaboratively with you to address dynamic health issues. Often this includes working with your dentist, orthodontist, chiropractic physician, ENT, cranio sacral therapist, or other health professional. Ages 4 and up- you are never too old to make positive changes.
Our goal is to optimize the airway and breathing mechanics to achieve optimal health and wellness.
- Mouth breathing during the day and during a nap and overnight sleeping
- Snoring or audible breathing during sleep
- Gasping or pauses in breathing during sleep or coughing during sleep
- Tossing and turning, drooling, sleeping hot or waking up grumpy
- Wetting the bed or waking to use the bathroom
- Hyper/Wired by day OR tired during the day
- Behavioral Concerns
- Struggling to pay attention, focus, concentrate
- Learning difficulties
- Swollen tonsils or adenoids
- Prone to ear aches or allergies
- Crooked teeth
- Asthma or respiratory trouble
- Chewing with mouth opened
- Gag easily when brushing teeth
- Frequent headaches
- TMJ pain
- Clenching / Grinding
- High Blood pressure
- Neck and Shoulder pain + tension